All about the youth group of the United Churches of Kamloops

Monday, February 11, 2008

Ashes, ashes we all fall down.....

Well, I know that this is a nursery rhyme about the black plague but I have had this line running through my head since last youth night which happened to be Ash Wednesday. Really that line of the rhyme is a great description of Lent. We start with the symbolizim of ashes and oil - for repentance - and come into a time of falling down looking at what seperates us from God. Then we expereince the surprising ways of God in being pulled to our feet, brushed off and gently held. In our desire to be closer to God - God comes to us, caring for us. On Ash Wednesday the youth blessed one another saying " Be open to God's surprising ways. Let faith find you" The ashes are a reminder that one day we will die, and the shape of the cross reminds us that whether we live or whether we die, we are not alone. We belong to God who has much to surprise us with. These youth constantly surprise me with their openess, friendship, creativity, courage, smarts, enthusiasm and their love of their world. I think they are one of God's Surprising ways -I have been Blessed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the site, and the pic!